Wanted to lose weight, but are your lactose intolerant?
Don’t worry, there is a simple Gluten and dairy-free diet which will solve your problem to lose weight.
As when it came to weight loss vegetarian people tend to eat dairy products like milk, curd, etc. And fruits to get the maximum amount of protein.
Many people believed that removing gluten from their can helps them to lose weight but there is no scientific proof of it. It’s only the people’s mindset about eliminating gluten that makes them feel good.
What are gluten and dairy-free diet
In today’s modern world, you all know about what is gluten, Gluten is a protein that is found commonly in wheat, barley, etc.
As we discussed celiac disease, if the person is going through this condition, it will be harmful to consume some gluten or any dairy-free products.
Gluten and dairy-free diets are not typical they are the same as the normal diet that all follow but with some fancy food products.
In India, people don’t need to look for gluten replacements as there are many alternatives to wheat such as grains, rice, millets, etc.
Apart from this, there are many different types of gluten-free food products like Dosa, poha, upma, etc.
In this case, a gluten and dairy-free diet are recommended for these types of individuals. However, gluten and dairy-free diets claim to improve one’s health but it makes you to changes your whole nutritional intake, that’s why it is suggested to consult a Dietician first.
What is lactose intolerance?
Lactose intolerance has become a very common problem with 70% of the world’s population being lactose intolerant.
In simple words, lactose intolerance is when your body cannot digest the lactose from dairy products, which can result in abdominal cramps, gas, bloating, etc.
It is also caused by having a small number of enzymes present in or small intestine which is referred to as lactose malabsorption.
Types of lactose intolerance.
Primary or Congenital lactose intolerance-
It can be developed at any age starting from 2 which is known as primary lactose intolerance. As children move from milk to other food products there is a high enough amount of lactase to digest, but with the growing age, some people start to drop the amount of intolerance.
And there is a rare case in which the newborn child has lactose intolerance which is known as Congenital lactose intolerance.
Secondary lactose intolerance-
This type of intolerance develops when your small intestine decreases lactase production to digest food which is initially caused by some injury or illness related to your small intestine which is also known as celiac disease.
Symptoms of lactose intolerance
The symptoms of lactose intolerance can be easily noticed after 30 minutes to 2 hours of eating any food product which has lactose, those symptoms are,
- Stomach pain
When to see a doctor
Make an appointment with your doctor if you frequently have symptoms of lactose intolerance after eating dairy foods, particularly if you’re worried about getting enough calcium.
Now, we have discussed in short what is lactose intolerance, its types, and all.
Let’s jump to see,
Meal plan for gluten and dairy-free diet
Breakfast: Moong Dal Chilla + Cup of Coffee/Skimmed Milk
Mung dal Chilla is a very tasty breakfast meal and can be prepared easily and you can add up a cup of coffee or a cup of hot skimmed milk.
Preparation of Mung dal Chilla.
Mung Dal Chilla are healthy, nutritious, spiced and tasty Indian style pancakes made with moong lentils, herbs and spices.
You can read the full recipe here, Moong Dal Chilla.
Moong dal Chilla
- 0.17 cup moong dal (split & husked yellow moong lentils)
- 0.33 to 0.5 cups water for soaking
- 0.04 cup water for grinding lentils or add as required
- 0.04 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 0.04 teaspoon red chili powder or cayenne pepper
- 0.08 teaspoon roasted cumin powder or cumin powder (ground cumin)
- 0.17 pinch hing (asafoetida), optional
- 0.04 cup chopped coriander leaves (cilantro)
- 0.04 cup finely chopped onions
- 0.17 teaspoon grated ginger or finely chopped ginger
- 0.17 to 0.33 green chilies finely chopped or ½ to 1 teaspoon finely chopped
- 0.17 teaspoon salt or add as required
- 0.33 to 0.5 tablespoons oil for cooking chillas or add as required
- Rinse the moong dal 3 to 4 times in water.
- Soak the lentils with 2 to 3 cups of water for 3 to 4 hours or overnight if you plan to make the chilla for breakfast.
- The moong dal will swell or double up in size. Discard the water. Rinse the mung lentils again a few times in water. Drain all the water.
- In a grinder, add the soaked moong lentils and ¼ cup of water. Grind to a smooth and fine consistency.
- Don't add too much water as the lentils might not grind evenly. We need a smooth and lump free batter for moong dal chilla.
AM Snack: Fruits
Fruits are the natural gluten and dairy –free. Other than weight loss eating fruits has its own benefits.
You can take any of your fav ones.
Lunch: Quinoa Pulao
Quinoa is an edible portion of a flowering plant. It is full of nutrients and proteins. It contains all the nine essential amino acids. In fact, it is naturally gluten free.
This superfood pulao is very tasty and has filling power.
We have done a detailed discussion about Quinoa, Click here to read.
Preparation of Quinoa Pulao
Quinoa pulao is full of proteins and when mixed with veggies it become very tasty. It is an edible seed with crunchy like taste and great nutritional value.
- 1 cup Quinoa
- 1½ to 2 tablespoon Oil or ghee
- 1 small onion chopped or sliced
- 1 green chilli chopped or slit
- ½ teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- ¼ cup carrots chopped
- ¼ cup green peas
- 2 to 3 Beans chopped
- 1 small tomato (optional, chopped finely)
- 10 to 12 mint leaves (pudina) chopped finely
- ½ to ¾ teaspoon garam masala
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon red chilli powder (optional)
- 2 cups water (1¼ cups for instant pot)
- ½ teaspoon cumin (jeera)
- I usually use Manual/Pressure Cook mode for cooking quinoa. It works perfectly and also takes less time. If you are in a hurry, at least give some time, about 5 minutes, before you release the pressure manually (5 minutes NPR).
- Soaking quinoa is not mandatory. In this recipe, I dint soak the quinoa. But if you have time you can soak for 15-20 minutes and reduce water by ¼ cup.
- Always keep an eye on the time and do not overcook. Quinoa should not be mushy. I like quinoa to be perfectly cooked and separated.
- In this recipe, I have used fresh vegetables. But you can also use frozen vegetables too.
- I kept the spices mild, you can add more spices as per your preference.
PM Snack: Green Tea
When a beginner thinks about diet, all the way the first think strike in the mind is that is green tea. Green tea is said to be the best drink for weight loss among all the weight loss drinks in the market.
We have prepared an article for you about the “Best water drinks for weight loss”.
Dinner: Brown Rice with Low fat Curd
When it comes to weight loss, I will suggest you to consume Brown rice instead to white rice. There are many factors and some of them are-
- Brown rice has more fiber content than white rice
- Brown rice is low in calories
- Brown rice has higher number of magnesium and many other nutrients than white rice
- Brown rice can keep you more full as compared to white rice
Conclusion paragraph: If you’re looking for a way to lose weight, a gluten and dairy – free diet may be the answer. A study found that people who cut these foods from their diet saw an average of 3 pounds per month. It’s not just about cutting calories either – cutting out these foods can also help improve your mood and energy levels. So if you want to start losing weight but don’t want to sacrifice taste or quality of life on your new diet plan, try cutting out gluten and dairy products today! What other health benefits have you seen by cutting these foods from your diet?.
We are trying to provide a lot more of valuable content and if you like this article share with your friends and with family. Losesimply.in will provide you more valuable content which will help you to reduce weight easily.
If you want to calculate your calories according to your weight and distance travelled or cover try style crazy.